The Raintree Restaurant & Steakhouse Casual Dining • Historic Location
The story of the Raintree Restaurant reads a little bit like a romantic novel. On March 30, 1979, the MacDonald family, consisting of father and mother, Tristan and Alex, and son Gaere, and daughter Lorna, left England in their 45-foot yacht, Intsholo III, bound for the United States, just as their countrymen had done in the 17th century, and for just about the same reason. After selling everything—business, house, cars, and most of their furniture—they said goodbye to Europe and friends. At 5 p.m. on Nov. 7, 1979, they left the safety of the Canaries for the open Atlantic. The crossing took nearly 18 days before Intsholo III anchored at Bridgetown, Barbados. The next step was across to Florida and then north to St. Augustine, where the MacDonalds found the old house at 102 San Marco Avenue that became The Raintree after 10 months of restorations and refurbishment. This century-old building is one of the last survivors of the city’s Victorian heyday.
Since opening in 1981, The Raintree continues to be recognized nationally and internationally as one of Florida’s top destination restaurants. The warm, inviting ambience of the restored 1879 home—and brick courtyard, gazebos and koi ponds surrounding it—provide the perfect setting for memorable dining and special events. The menu features hand-cut prime steaks, fresh local seafood, chef’s specials, and handcrafted desserts, notably made-to-order French crepes. Specialties such as the Brandy Peppersteak, Veal San Marco, Fresh Catch Matanzas, and Beef Wellington have put the restaurant on the map of gourmands the world over. For dinner nightly and Sunday Brunch, Raintree is a St. Augustine tradition not to be missed!